A brief note on getting a permit in Greece as a company’s executive
In general, we need to clarify that Visa is an official document that it allows for a non-national to enter a country, while permit is an official document that it allows a non-national to resident a country. The granting of a permit to an applicant is based on the appropriate type of the already issued Visa. Depending on the purpose of travelling to Greece, there are different types of Visas that may apply to each occasion, as we need to clarify that not all types of Visas – and therefore permits – allow the applicant to be employed. In a nutshell, the applicant is required to apply for – and issue – a proper Visa as a prerequisite for the granting of permit.
As a beginning, a Visa D should granted by the competent Greek consulate, indicating the intention of the applicant to stay in Greece for employment purposes and for a period longer than 90 days. In the case of the executive, a Visa D may be granted on the basis of par. 1, (a), Article 17 of Law 4251/2014, and par.(22), Article 8 of Law 4332/2015 which allows non EU/EEA nationals, board members, shareholders, managers, legal representatives and senior executives (general directors, directors) of domestic companies and affiliate companies established in Greece and branches of foreign companies engaged in legitimate commercial activities in Greece to be granted, after an interview, a national Visa with the indication in the field “REMARKS” of the Visa sticker “A.2.1 Executives of companies established in Greece”. The same provisions also refer to the granting also of the respective permit. Additionally and as regards other employees of the representative office (not of a senior level), a Visa D may be granted on the basis of par. 1, (b), Article 17 of Law 4251/2014 76, which allows non EU/EEA nationals, employees in companies (legal representatives, directors, business managerial staff and employees) who wish to enter the country under special bilateral agreements or upon recommendation from the competent Greek authorities to be granted, following an interview, a national Visa indicating, in the field “REMARKS” of the Visa sticker, the reference «A.2.3 Executives and Employees of Companies Based on Special Agreements». The same provisions also refer to the granting also of the respective permit.
The granting of a Visa requires the submission of certain documents – according to the type of permit that the Visa shall be associated – and of course the general supporting documents (application, valid travel document, criminal record, medical certificate, health insurance).
As regards the granting of a Visa D (A.2.1 Executives of companies established in Greece) type the following extra documents shall be required for the granting of the respective Visa:
- A copy of the Government Gazette incorporating or establishing an affiliate company or a branch of a foreign company engaged in commercial activities in Greece, from which the their appointment or election shall be evident or
- A copy of the company’s statute or
- A copy of the decision of the company, with regard to their position as Board members or managers or legal representatives or senior executives (general directors or directors) or
- A copy of the statute of the company and a recent certificate on the shareholding structure of the company and a confirmation regarding the registered office of the foreign company, if not apparent from the foregoing, in the case of affiliate companies, pursuant to the provisions of Article 42e, par. 5 of Law 2190/1920.
- A copy of the Government Gazette on the incorporation or establishment of a domestic company engaged in commercial activity in Greece, proving their appointment or election. In your case, we shall submit the letter from the Bank of Greece.
As regards the granting of a Visa D (A.2.3 Executives and Employees of Companies Based on Special Agreement) type the following extra documents shall be required for the granting of the respective Visa:
- Government Gazette ratifying the interstate agreement or
- A copy of the contract of Greek government with the company or
- A recommendation from the competent public authority, public law entity, private law entity or organization on the existence, in the face of the person concerned, of reasons justifying the need for his/her entry and residence in Greece. In your case, we may request such a document from either the Ministry or the Bank of Greece
- A labour contract for a term of more than six months, indicating the skills and employment term of the third – country national
In any case, the applicants may be accompanied or followed by their family members, provided that their subsistence and health care expenses will not burden the Greek national welfare system and provided they are granted, following an interview, a national Visa – and then a permit – with the indication in the field “REMARKS”of the Visa sticker, the reference «F.1. Family members of third – country nationals». The Visa may be granted upon the submission of the following supporting documents:
- A family status certificate issued by the local competent authorities, proving family relationship.
- The general supporting documents (application, valid travel document, criminal record, medical certificate, health insurance).
After the arrival of the applicant in Greece, then the next step is for us to apply for a permit. The type of permit depends on the requested type of Visa. The application may be filed either by a representative (under a notary public power of attorney or an authorization attested by a Municipality Office – KEP) or by in person presence. An in person attendance of the applicant shall be required at a certain point in order for the applicant to provide his biometrics data (fingerprints and photo). The supportive documents are the same of the requested type of Visa (as mentioned above) plus the following ones:
- Private medical insurance
- Paid administration expenses
- A full color copy of the current passport of the applicant
- 4 passport photographs (4cm X 6cm) in hard copy and in a CD
As soon as we submit the permit application, we receive on the same day a temporary permit that you may use until you receive the final one. Permits of that kind of type are valid for 2 and may be renewed for another 3 years. The same information apply also as regards family members.
Finally, we advise for applicants to have issued a recent birth certificate – before arriving to Greece – from their country of residence, which shall be used for the granting of their Social Security Number.